Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Song Sex Talk (Not To Be Confused w/ The Sex Song Talk)

This entry is is to cover my recent obsession...covers! (Laugh ironically at the pun, please)

I used to hate covers. Don't get me wrong, they weren't all bad. I loved Janis Joplin doing Summertime and only knew Adam Green's version of What a Waster. Still, there seemed to be something innately dirty about tampering with a great piece of music.

Then I was in the mood for something new. I had downloaded so many albums, explored so many bands, that I really just wanted to appreciate the songs that I had fallen in love with.
This is where I have to thank my friend Joshua for being stocked with a full folder of links to cover blogs.

So, I listened. At first I would try and find bands I loved covering songs by other bands I love. How can you go wrong with The Shins covering Pink Floyd or Stars covering Springsteen? These were great musicians performing odes to the geniuses before them. It was beautiful. Soon I was listening to some of my favorite songs being covered by artists I don't even listen to and enjoying it.

Anyways, here are some of the covers born of these unions:

Jose Gonzalez - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division)


The Shins - Breathe (Pink Floyd)


Cursive - Franky Mr. Shankly (The Smiths)


Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World (David Bowie)

Stars - Hungry Heart (Bruce Springsteen)

Just because these are super awesome, don't forget to download the original songs as well (if you don't already have them). Each version has its own charm.

Till next time...

Oh, and I'd really appreciate comments since I'm something of a n00b (yeah, I said it) at this.

No comments: