Saturday, March 1, 2008

OMG! Listen to this!: Week 1

I download a lot of music. My band ADHD has reached an all time high lately as I've been downloading individual songs, not even albums. Because of this, each week I have a quite a few 'new favorite songs' that I should really post before I move on and forget about half of them.

Belle and Sebastian - The Blues are Still Blue
I've been a Belle and Sebastian fan for a while, but this definitely doesn't sound like a lot of their older stuff. In fact, this song is the epitome of catchy indie pop. I highly suggest it, but this song comes with a disclaimer. You will have it stuck in your head for days.

These United States - First Sight

These guys have to win as my new favorite band. Not that it's my favorite band, the DC natives (represent!) have definitely captured my heart. They're also all over the blog scene despite having not yet released their first album. I'd say that's a pretty good sign.

The Whitsundays - It Must Be Me
When this song first starts, I can't help but think of The Beach Boys. While it definitely falls under that vague umbrella that is 'indie', this band has a really chill 60's feel to it. Also, it has harmonizing.

Lou Reed - Take a Walk on The Wild Side
How tragic is it that The Velvet Underground isn't still around. Despite my love for the band (and also because of it) I just adore Lou Reed. This laid back song about hookers and transvestites is an absolute classic.

The Essex Green - The Late Great Cassiopia
I wish I could wake up to this song every morning. It's yet another upbeat indie pop tune that will get stuck in your head (though maybe not for quite as long as Blues are Still Blue). Just another one of those things to brighten up a grey winter day.

If you have any music suggestions for me, I'm listening.

Have fun (or too much fun) this weekend!

No comments: